Timeline of Toronto History

1649-50 – The Iroquois Five Nations launch massive raids against Ontario’s Great Lakes peoples (i.e. Wendat, Tionontaté, Neutral territories), leading to war with the Huron-Wendat Confederacy (also known as the Beaver Wars). Once victorious, the Five Nations (i.e. Seneca, Cayuga, Oneida) settled on the north shore of Lake Ontario.

1660s – The Seneca (Five Nations) village of Teiaiagon existed on the east side of the Humber River (Cobechenonk) where Jane and Bloor is located today.

1667 – Peace agreement signed between the Iroquois and New France.

1690s – The Algonquian (i.e. Mississauga, Ojibwa, and Wendat) migrate south from northern Ontario, attacking Iroquois villages and reclaiming their former territory. By 1700, they pushed the Iroquois out of southern Ontario.

1700 – Ojibwa chiefs travelled to Onondaga, the capital of the Iroquois Confederacy, and settled for peace in exchange for recognition of the Mississaugas territorial control and access to the English for the purpose of trading fur.

1720 – Fort Toronto (originally Fort Rouillé) was built by the French. It would be abandoned in 1730, restored by the British in 1740, and used until 1759 when it was destroyed by its garrison

1783 – Royal Proclamation signed by King George III recognizing the Great Lakes “Indians'” title to their hunting territories, and prohibiting the purchase of “Indian” lands by private individuals without them having been first surrendered to the Crown.

1787 September 23 – The Toronto Purchase Act between the British Crown (Gov. Gen. Lord Dorchester) and the Mississaugas of New Credit was negotiated by the Superintendent General of Indian Affairs John Johnson under murky circumstances, encompassing a unspecified yet very large area in present-day GTA

1791 December 26 – The Constitutional Act divided the province of Quebec into Upper (British) and Lower (French) Canada

1792 – John Graves Simcoe becomes the first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada

1793 – The Fort and the Town of York were established by Lt. Governor Simcoe

1794 – Construction of King St.

1795 – Etobicoke was named by Lt. Governor John G. Simcoe

1796 August – The Mississauga Chief Wabakinine and his wife were murdered on York’s waterfront by a group of British men. This event almost triggered an “Indian” uprising.

1796 – Scarborough was named by Elizabeth Simcoe

1796 – Construction of Yonge St. begins

1797 – The political capital of Upper Canada moved from Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) to York

1797 – The Cathedral Church of St. James opened

1803 – The St. Lawrence Market opened

1805 – The 1787 purchase of Toronto was formalized. The new deed mentioned 250,880 acres of land, from Etobicoke creek to Ashbridges Bay, and 28 miles north.

1806 – Lambton Mills was established as a village

1813 April & July – The Battle of York occurred, leading to the burning down of the Upper Canada Legislature building and the town’s looting by American forces

1818 – The first Twelfth of July parade happened in York. This would become an annual event after 1820.

1826 June 8 – Opponents of William Lyon Mackenzie and his newspaper The Colonial Advocate ransacked the newspaper’s printing office in what became known as the Types Riot

1827 March 15 – King’s College (later University of Toronto) was established

1829 June 3 – The York General Hospital opened, becoming the first hospital in the township

1830 – The Orange Order’s Grand Lodge of British North America was established

1830 – The York Mechanics’ Institute opened

1832 – Cholera outbreak

1832 – The York Typographical Society – York’s first craft based union – was founded

1834 March 6 – The City of Toronto Act was introduced by the Upper Canada Legislature. The name “Toronto” was reinstated at this point. Population at the time was 9,252.

1834 March 27 – First municipal elections took place. The Reformer William Lyon Mackenzie became Toronto’s first mayor.

1834 – Cholera outbreak

1835 – Economic depression in Toronto following crop failures in the hinterland

1837 – The Toronto House of Industry was established

1837 November – The Gooderham and Worts Distillery was founded

1837 December 4-7 – The Upper Canada Rebellion, opposing republican Reformers led by William Lyon Mackenzie and the pro-British government of Upper Canada led by the oligarchic “Family Compact”

1839-1840 – The first Catholic school in Toronto opened

1841 December 28 – First gas-powered street lamps were installed

1841 – Toronto lost its provincial capital status to Kingston

1844 – The Globe newspaper was founded

1846 December 19 – First telegraph sent from Toronto by the Toronto, Hamilton and Niagara Electro-Magnetic Telegraph Co.

1847 – Around 38,000 Irish Famine refugees arrived in Toronto (population 20,000 at the time), though not all of them settled in the city

1847 May – After failing to confirm their legal titles to the 4,000 acre of land near at the mouth of the Credit River, the Mississaugas (267 people by then) relocated to a portion of the Six Nations reserve, upon Joseph Brant’s invitation. There they became known as the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation.

1849 April 7 – The first Great Fire of Toronto destroyed much of the city’s business core

1849 May 30 – King’s College becomes the University of Toronto

1849 – The William Omnibus Line opened, becoming the first public transit system in the city

1849 – Cholera outbreak

1850 – Flooding in the Don River destroyed houses, mills, stables, and bridges, and killed one person.

1850 – Etobicoke, Scarborough, and York are incorporated as townships

1853 May – The Northern Railway, connecting lakes Ontario, Simcoe and Huron, opened as the first steam-engine railway line in Upper Canada

1853 – The village of Yorkville was incorporated

1854 – London and Washington signed the Canadian-American Reciprocity Treaty, the first free trade agreement between the two, reducing protectionist tariffs on some resources until 1866

1855 – The “Toronto Circus Riot” or “Firemen Riot” occurred

1855 – The Toronto General Hospital relocated from the central city to a site west of the Lower Don River

1856 October 27 – The Toronto-Montreal section of the Grand Trunk Railway opened

1858 – The first Union Station opened west of York and Front streets

1858 March 16-17 – St. Patrick’s Day Riot took place, opposing Orangemen and Catholic Irishmen

1858 April 14 – The Toronto Islands were formed after a storm disconnected it from the mainland

1858 December 1 – The Reform Mayor Adam Wilson created the Toronto Board of Police Commissioners to carry out an institutional reform in the Toronto police force

1859-1866 – During these seven years, Toronto citizens were able to vote directly for Mayor, until that decision was returned to the elected council

1859 – The “Liberties” were abolished

1859 December – The Grand Trunk Railway opened, connecting Toronto and Montreal

1861 – The Toronto Street Railway was granted a 30-year franchise to operate streetcars in the city. The first horse-pulled streetcar route, connecting Yorkville Town Hall and St. Lawrence Market, was inaugurated on September 10

1861 October 25 – The Toronto Stock Exchange opened

1864 – Francis Henry Medcalf becomes the first Orangemen to be elected Mayor of Toronto

1865 – The Toronto Jail and Industrial Farm (New Gaol) opened on the east side of the Lower Don River

1869 – The Eaton’s department store opens on Yonge St.

1872 March 25 – The Toronto Typographical Union went on strike demanding a 9 hour workday

1872 – The Toronto Mail newspaper was launched

1873 July 1 – The second Union Station was inaugurated

1874 August 19 – City Council created an official fire department

1875 – Woodbine Park opened

1875 March 1 – The Hospital for Sick Children opened

1875 September 25 – The Jubilee Riots, opposing Protestant and Catholic, took place during Catholic pilgrimages

1875 – The Metropolitan Street Railway was established

1876 – The village of Brockton was incorporated

1877 August 22 – Dunkin Act Referendum on whether or not to ban the public consumption of alcohol in taverns. Over ten thousand people paraded in a torchlight procession celebrating the anti-Dunkin win.

1878 – The village of Parkdale was incorporated

1878 – Flooding in the Don River caused major havoc, destroying much of the riverside structures, including 30 mill dams and 20 bridges

1878 March – Riot opposing Irish Catholics and Protestants occurred following a lecture by the Fenian leader Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa at St. Patrick’s Hall. This led to ban on St. Patrick’s Day parades.

1878 – Victoria Park opened on the Scarborough Bluffs

1879 September 1 – The Toronto Industrial Exhibition (later the Canadian National Exhibition) was held for the first time

1879 – Toronto’s first telephone book was published

1881 – The village of Weston was incorporated

1882 August – First Knights of Labor shop founded in Toronto

1883 – The Trades and Labour Congress of Canada was inaugurated in Toronto

1883 – The Toronto Public Library opened

1883 September 25 – The Toronto Electric Light Co. opened

1883 – Yorkville was annexed by Toronto

1884 – Brockton and Riverdale (unincorporated) were annexed by Toronto

1884 June 30 – Municipal and Historical Day (Yonge St. to CNE)

1886 – Construction planned by the Don Improvement Project began

1886 – First all-female union local, made up of garment workers, was organized under the Knights of Labor

1886 – Mayor William Howland created the Morality Department, a branch of the Toronto police force led by inspector David Archibald, tasked with enforcing Victorian morality against prostitution, homosexuality, drunkenness, gambling, incest, sexual assault and other practices deemed immoral.

1886 March 10 – Toronto Street Railway Company’s workers, organized under the Knights of Labor, went on strike

1887 – The Toronto Empire newspaper was launched

1887 – West Toronto Junction (West Toronto after 1891) was incorporated

1888 – Seaton Village and Sunyside, both unincorporated, were annexed by Toronto

1889 – Parkdale was annexed into Toronto

1889 – East Toronto was incorporated

1890 – North Toronto was incorporated

1891 – The Toronto Railway Co. was granted a 30-year franchise to operate streetcars in the city

1891 – The Journeymen Tailors’ Union of America (later Tailors’ Industrial Union) opened its first shop in Toronto

1892 August 15 – The first electric streetcar line opened on Church St.

1892 November 3 – The Evening Star (later The Toronto Daily Star) was launched

1892 – The Toronto and Scarboro’ Electric Railway, Light and Power Co. was established

1893 – The Amalgamated Transit Union Division 30 was founded (in 1898 it became Division 113)

1893 April 4 – The Queen’s Park Ontario Legislative building opened

1893 July 1 – A new Union Station was inaugurated by the Grand Trunk Railway

1894 February-March – Uprising among Toronto’s unemployed leading to various protests

1894 June 14 – Massey Hall opened

1894 – The Toronto Suburban Railway was established

1894 – The United Garment Workers opened its first shop in Toronto

1894 – The Toronto Mail and Toronto Empire newspapers merge to create The Mail and Empire

1895 March 3 – Major fire at the Simpson’s and Eaton’s department stores on Queen St. and Yonge St.

1896 – The Toronto Board of Control was created (it would last until 1969)

1896 December 31 – Toll gates were abolished in York County

1897 May 23 – Streetcars ran on Sunday (Sabbath) for the first time

1897 September 26 – The Temple Building opened at Bay and Richmond Streets, becoming the tallest office building in Canada

1899 September 18 – The City Hall building opened

1900 January 24 – The Evening Star was renamed as The Toronto Daily Star

1900 – The Art Museum of Toronto opened (renamed Art Gallery of Toronto in 1919)

1902 – The Laundry Association requested city council to introduce fees on all laundries, as an attempt to prevent more Chinese-run laundries from opening

1902 – Toronto streetcar workers strike and riot, organized by ATU Local 113

1903 – King Edward Hotel opened

1904 April 19 – The second Great Fire of Toronto destroyed over 100 buildings in downtown Toronto

1904 – The Labour Temple building opened on 167 Church St. (it closed in 1968)

1905 – The Toronto branch of the Chinese Empire Reform Association opened

1905 – The Toronto Santa Claus Parade is inaugurated

1906 – Electricity generated at Niagara Falls began supplying Toronto

1906 – The Toronto Professional Hockey Club was established, becoming the first of its kind in the city

1907 – Scarboro Brach Amusement Park opened

1907 February – Over 400 Bell telephone operators, all of them women, went on strike to fight against the restructuring of hours and lowering of wages

1908 – Toronto annexed East Toronto

1909 – Toronto annexed West Toronto (the Junction), Balmy Beach, Wychwood, Bracondale, and Midway

1909 – The Central Reference Library opened at the intersection of College and St. George streets

1909 – The first Grey Cup game was held at Rosedale Field

1909 January – Close to 1,000 unemployed, led by the Socialist Party of Canada, demonstrated on City Hall

1910 January – Earslcourt and Dovercourt were annexed by Toronto

1910 – Dr. Charles J. Hastings became Toronto’s first Medical Officer of Health, a position he held until 1929

1910 – Island Water Treatment Plant was built

1911 – Mimico was incorporated

1911 – Ashbridge Bay’s sewage treatment plant opened

1911 – The Toronto Harbour Commission was created

1911 – The city created the Toronto Civic Railway to service Danforth, Gerrard, Lansdowne, and St. Clair avenues, and Bloor St. West

1912 – North York and Moore Park were annexed by Toronto

1912 – The Areans Gardens (later Mutual Street Arena) opened

1912 – The Toronto Civic Railways was created to serve the newly annexed areas of the city not served by the private Toronto Railway Company

1912 – Strike and boycott at Eaton’s garment factory

1912 – R. C. Harris became Toronto’s Commissioner of Public Works, a position he occupied until he died in 1945

1913 – Leaside and New Toronto were incorporated

1913 – The International Fur Workers’ Union opened its first shop in Toronto

1914 – Mount Pleasant Cemetery was annexed by Toronto

1914 March 11 – The Toronto Blueshirts (founded in 1911) won the first Stanley Cup of Toronto

1914 March 19 – The Royal Ontario Museum opened

1918 August 2-5 – The Anti-Greek riots (the “Toronto troubles”) occurred

1919 – A chapter of the Universal Negro Improvement Association was founded in Toronto

1919 – The Associated Clothing Manufacturers was founded

1919 August 23 – Construction of the Prince Edward (Bloor Street) Viaduct was completed

1919 November – A mob of 400 men smashed and looted Chinese businesses on Elizabeth St.

1920 – The Pantages Theatre (the largest in Canada) opened

1921 September 1 – The Toronto Transportation Commission was founded by provincial legislation

1921 – The (later Ricoh) Coliseum opened on the CNE grounds

1922 June 13 – North York was incorporated as a township

1922 June 28 – The Sunnyside Amusement Park (or Sunnyside Beach Park) opened. It would be demolished in 1955 to build the Gardiner expressway

1922 November 22 – The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair was inaugurated

1923 – Forest Hill was incorporated

1924 January 1 – East York was incorporated as a township

1925 – Swansea was incoporated

1925 – About a 1,000 Chinese marched in downtown Toronto headed to a service at Victoria Hall on the death of Sun Yat-sen

1925 June 10 – The United Church of Canada was founded with its first mass in the Mutual Street Arena

1925 August 8 – First automatic traffic signal was introduced at the intersection of Yonge St. and Bloor St.

1927 August 6 – The New Union Station opened

1926 – The Maple Leaf Stadium opened

1926 – The city of Toronto bought the ferry company that serviced the Islands and integrated it into the public transit system

1927 February 14 – The Toronto St. Patricks (former Toronto Arenas, Torontos, and Toronto Blueshirts) were renamed the Toronto Maple Leafs

1927 – First liquor stores open in Toronto following the repeal of the Ontario Temperance Act

1927 August 6 – The new (present-day) Union Station opened

1927 August 30 – Princes Edward and George inaugurated the Prince’s Gates at the Exhibition Grounds

1929 – The Royal York Hotel (later Fairmont) opened

1929 January 22 – Toronto Police Chief Dennis Draper’s “Red Squad” launched tear gas on an assembly of Jewish communists gathered at the Standard Theatre

1929 August 1 and 13 – Two communist “free speech” rallies on Queen’s Park were violently broken up by Police Chief Draper’s “Red Squad”

1929 October 29 – The Toronto Stock Exchange suffers its worst loss in history, plunging Canada into the Great Depression

1930 March – About 2,000 communist protesters assembled on Bay St. were violently dispersed by Police Chief Draper’s “Red Squad”

1931 February – About 3,000 people gathered on the intersection of Spadina and Dundas for a Communist day of unemployed protest were violently dispersed by Police Chief Draper’s “Red Squad”

1931 February 25 – Dressmakers organized by the International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union went on strike

1931 November 12 – The Maple Leaf Gardens opened

1933 August 16 – Christie Pit riot opposing Nazi-supporters against Jewish and Italian Torontonians

1934 March 6 – Centennial of the City of Toronto

1936 – The Globe and Mail was launched, resulting from the merger of The Globe and The Mail and Empire

1937 – The Chinese Patriotic League of Ontario was formed in Toronto

1938 August 29 – The Malton Airport (later Pearson) opened

1939 February 4 – Billy Bishop Airport in the Toronto Islands opened

1939 May 22 – King George VI and Queen Elizabeth became the first reigning British monarchs to visit to Toronto

1939 June 7 – Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) opened, connecting Toronto and Niagara Falls

1941 – The R. C. Harris Water Treatment Plant, built in the Scarborough Bluffs (the former site of Victoria Park) began its operation

1942 – The City Planning Board was founded by City Council. It’s Master Plan was published the next year

1943 – The Toronto Reconstruction Council (renamed Civic Advisory Council) was created by City Council. It would end in January 1953

1944 December 12 – Major storm hit Toronto, leaving 52cm (20.5 inches) of snow in 24 hours

1944 – The Citizen’s Housing and Planning Association, chaired by W. Harold Clark, was founded to lobby governments for solutions to wartime housing crisis and start a housing project on Regent Park

1947 April 3 – The Silver Rail became the first bar in Toronto

1947 June – The Community Council Co-ordinating Committee (4Cs) was created by the Toronto Reconstruction Council, and led by Hugo Wolter

1948 October 29 – Construction began on the Regent Park public housing project

1948 – The Don Valley Conservation Authority was formed

1949 – Construction of the Toronto Bypass (renamed Highway 401 in 1953) began

1949 September 17 – The SS Noronic passenger ship caught fire in Toronto’s harbour, killing between 118-139 people

1949 September – Ground breaking for Yonge subway line began

1950 – The Ontario Municipal Board rejected Toronto City Council’s application to amalgamate 12 surrounding municipalities, responding to the latter’s opposition

1951 August 9 – The weather beacon at the Canada Life Building was inaugurated

1951 December 1 – The Toronto-Barrie Highway (renamed Highway 400 on July 1, 1952) opened

1952 – Construction of the Don Mills “model town” began. Designed by Macklin Hancock, its modernist layout became a blueprint for other postwar suburbs in the Greater Toronto Area

1952 – CBLT, Ontario’s first television station, began broadcasting in Toronto

1954 January 1 – The Metro Toronto Federation (Metro government) was launched. Frederick G. Gardiner was its first chair

1954 March 30 – The Yonge subway line opened, becoming the first rapid transit line in Canada

1954 October 5-18 – Hurricane Hazel hit Toronto, dumping 285 millimetres of rain in the GTA, which caused massive structural damage and killed 81 people across Southern Ontario (none of them in Toronto)

1955 – The City began expropriating businesses on Elizabeth St. (Chinatown) in preparation for the construction of the new City Hall building

1956 August 24 – Highway 401’s last section in Toronto, connecting Bayview Ave. to Highway 2, opened

1957 – Four Toronto-area conservation authorities merged to form the Metropolitan Region Conservation Authority

1958 – Construction of the Don Valley Parkway (DVP) began

1958 August 8 – The Gardiner Expressway from Humber River to Jameson Ave. opened

1959 – The Toronto Official Plan was unveiled

1959 August 23 – A riot took place at Fred Hamilton Park after a National Soccer League match between the teams Toronto Italia and Hungaria

1960 March 17 – Five Italian immigrants died while digging a water main tunnel under the Don River in Hoggs’ Hollow

1960 October 1 – The O’Keefe Centre (renamed the Hummingbird Centre in 1996) opened

1961 January – A brief riot occurred outside the Portuguese consulate on Bay St., opposing an estimated 1,000 Portuguese anti-Salazar activists and pro-Salazar supporters.

1961 August 3 – The DVP’s first section, connecting Bloor St. and Eglinton Ave., opened

1964 – Construction of the Gardiner Expressway concluded

1964 February 26 – The Yorkdale Shopping Centre opened

1965 February 25 – The Bloor-Danforth subway line opened

1965 – Premier John Robarts announced the creation of GO Transit commuter system

1965 May 31 – Allen Gardens riot opposing an estimated 4,000 against eight suspected Nazi supporters

1965 – St. Christopher House launched the first Meals on Wheels program in the city

1965 September 13 – The new Toronto City Hall opened

1966 – Construction of the DVP concluded

1966 February 25 – The Bloor-Danforth (Keele to Woodbine) subway line was inaugurated

1966 October 21 – The northern stretch of the Spadina Expressway (later Allen Roadway) opened

1967 – The Save Chinatown Committee was created

1967 – Etobicoke, East York, North York, Scarborough, and York were incorporated as boroughs of Toronto

1967 – The Metro Toronto and Region Transportation Study (MTARTS) published its Choices of a Growing Region report

1967 May 23 – GO Transit began service on the CN lakeshore rail line between Oakville and Pickering

1967 August – A non-violent sit-in at Yorkville, calling for the city to close the area to car traffic, turned violent when police indiscriminately began arresting demonstrators

1968 – Rochdale College, a student-run alternative education and co-operative housing project founded by the Campus Co-operative, opened its doors

1968 – Bloor-Danforth subway line extension to Warden and Islington stations opened

1968 – The Committee of Concerned Citizens was created to oppose the Spadina Expressway project

1968 July-August- Toronto media reported the supposed outbreak of a “hippie hepatitis” epidemic in Yorkville that never existed, prompting city officials to introduce quarantine measures suppressing the neighbourhood’s countercultural lifestyles

1969 – The Stop Spadina Save Our City Coordinating Committee (SSSOCCC) was launched to opposed the construction of the Spadina Expressway through downtown Toronto

1969 May 17 – About 500 Portuguese marched onto Nathan Phillips Square to protest police violent against immigrants, following the murder of Ângelo Nóbrega by a Toronto detective on May 5th

1969 September 26 – The Ontario Science Centre opened

1969 November – The Pollution Probe group was formed but University of Toronto professors and students to bring public attention to the environmental degradation of the Don river and valley

1970 – MTARTS released its Toronto-Centred Region Plan

1970 – GO Transit began its bus service to Oshawa and Hamilton

1970 July 5 – The Air Canada Flight 621 accident occurred, killing 109 passengers and crew

1971 May 22 – The Ontario Place opened

1971 June 3 – Premier Bill Davis cancelled the construction of the Spadina Expressway

1972 – The City Housing Department was created to protect and create low-income housing

1973 – The TTC eliminated its zone-fare system and introduced one fare per ride anywhere in Metro Toronto. This would lead to large operating deficits

1973 – City Council passed a by-law that limited development in the central area of the city to a height of 45 ft. and a gross floor of 40,000 square ft.

1973 – The city dredged the lake between the Toronto Islands and the mainland to allow for more ship traffic

1973 May 2 – The Scarborough Town Centre opened

1974-1978 – The Central Area Plan Review was underway

1974 – TTC workers went on strike for 23 days

1974 November 6 – The Metro Toronto Zoo opened

1974 October 26 – The Art Gallery of Ontario relocated to its current address on Dundas St.

1975 December 12 – A TTC bus was smashed by a GO train in Scarborough, killing 10 people

1975 May 18 – The First Canadian Place office tower opened, becoming the tallest building in the British Commonwealth

1975 – The police removed the last residents of Rochdale College and welded its doors shut

1975 – The Urban Alliance on Race Relations was founded

1976 February 11 – The Toronto Eaton Centre opened

1976 June 26 – The CN Tower opened, becoming the tallest freestanding structure in the world

1976 November 2 – The Toronto Reference Library relocated to its current site on Bloor St. and Yonge St.

1976 – The Festival of Festivals (later Toronto International Film Festival) was launched

1977 August 8 – An estimated 15,000 Torontonians, many of them Portuguese immigrants, called on the City to “clean” Yonge Street’s “sin strip” following the rape and murder of the young Azorean shoeshine boy Emanuel Jaques

1979 – North York was incorporated as a city

1980 June – A “Punk Rock Riot” took place at the Ontario Place during a Teenage Head concert

1980 August 19 – Spectators rioted at the CNE after Alice Cooper cancelled his show

1981 February 5 – Metropolitan Toronto Police raided four bathhouses and arrested more then 300 gay men

1981 March 6 – “A Gay Freedom Rally” was held, effectively becoming Toronto’s first Pride event

1981 May 23 – Canada’s Wonderland opened

1982 September 13 – The Roy Thomson Hall opened

1983 – Etobicoke, Scarborough and York were incorporated as cities

1984 October 2 – The Metro Toronto Convention Centre opened

1985 March 22 – The Scarborough rapid transit line opened

1986 – The Mississaugas of New Credit launch a court case against the Government of Canada claiming that the land surrendered to the Crown under the 1797 purchase was done so illegally.

1987 – Construction of Highway 407 began

1988 – The first St. Patrick’s Day parade since its ban in 1878 happened in Toronto

1989 June 5 – The Skydome (later Rogers Centre) opened

1989 September – The East Don Valley from the Forks to Eglinton Avenue became a nature reserve within the Toronto Parks system, under the name Charles Sauriol Conservation Reserve

1989 November – The Royal Ontario Museum launched the exhibit Into the Heart of Africa, which drew much criticism and opposition from the African-Canadian community for its racist, pro-colonialist message

1990 – The Metropolitan Toronto Council created the Council Action Committee to Combat Racism (later renamed the Anti-Racism, Access, and Equity Committee)

1991 – Plot by paramilitary organization to bomb Hindu temple and Indian theatre was stopped

1992 May 4 – A riot occurred opposing police and Black demonstrators protesting the shooting of Raymond Lawrence

1992 – The Toronto Blue Jays win the World Series title

1993 May 23 – The Princess Wales Theatre opened

1993 – The Toronto Blue Jays win the World Series title for the second year in a row

1997 – The Spadina streetcar right of way opened

1998 January 1 – The Ontario government amalgamated the municipalities of Toronto, East York, Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, and York into one megacity. The amalgamated City of Toronto officially adopted the motto “Diversity, Our Strength!”

1998 March 4 – Toronto City Council created a Task Force on Community Access and Equity (TFCAE)

1999 February 19 – The Air Canada Centre opened

1999 December – Following the adoption of the TFCAE report, the Toronto City Council created five city-wide access and equity policy advisory committees on: aboriginal affairs; disability issues; status of women; race and ethnic relations; LGBT issues

2000 June 15 – An anti-poverty demonstration organized by the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty at Queen’s Park escalated into a riot when the police intervened.

2002 November 22 – The Sheppard Subway Line opened

2003 March 7 – The first case of SARS was reported in Toronto.

2003 July 30 – The Toronto SARS rock benefit concert, headlined by The Rolling Stones, attracted an estimated 450,000-500,000 people to Downsview Park, becoming the largest ever outdoor ticketed event in Canada

2004 April 6 – Terminal 1 of the Toronto International Airport opened to the public

2004 April 30 – The World Health Organization lifted its SARS travel warning for Toronto. By then, SARS had caused the death of 44 people in the city.

2006 June 2 – Terrorism plot by the “Toronto 18” was thwarted

2008 April 26 – The TTC workers went on strike

2008 August 10 – Propane storage facility on Keele St. and Wilson Ave. exploded

2009 June 22-July 27 – The City of Toronto’s inside and outside workers (Toronto Civic Employees Union and CUPE Local 79), involving close to 24,000 employees, went on strike

2010 June 8 – The legal dispute launched by the Mississaugas of New Credit against the Government of Canada regarding the 1787 Toronto Purchase was settled in court, with the federal government paying a $145 million settlement to the latter.

2010 June 26 – G20 Summit was held outside the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, prompting massive protests, and the mass detention of peaceful demonstrators by police

2014 June 20-29 – Toronto hosted World Pride

2014 November 5 – Mayor Rob Ford admited to have smoked crack cocaine after months of speculation

2015 June 6 – Union Pearson Express opened, connecting Pearson Airport and Union Station

2015 July 10-26 – Toronto hosted the Pan American Games

2015 July 30 – A tunnel connecting Billy Bishop Airport in the islands and the mainland opened

Print Friendly, PDF & Email